Your garage isn’t just a place to park your car or store old tools; it’s an extension of your home and often a gateway to it. Unfortunately, garages can be attractive targets for thieves looking for an easy entry point. In this blog post, Arizona Garage Builders shares essential tips to help you prevent garage break-ins and improve the security of your property.
Why Prioritize Garage Security?
1. Easy Target
• Garages often have fewer security features compared to the main home, making them vulnerable to intruders.
2. Valuables Inside
• Tools, vehicles, and sometimes even stored personal items can be expensive and attractive to thieves.
3. Access to the Home
• An insecure garage could grant burglars access to your home, compromising your family’s safety.
Tips to Secure Your Garage:
1. Reinforce the Garage Door
• Invest in a high-quality garage door with enhanced security features, like multiple lock points or a robust frame.
2. Install a Security System
• Cameras, alarms, and motion sensors can deter would-be intruders. Modern systems allow remote monitoring via smartphones.
3. Secure the Door Leading Into the Home
• Treat the door between your garage and your home like an exterior door: strong and with a high-quality lock.
4. Keep It Closed
• An open garage is an open invitation. Make it a habit to keep the garage door closed when not in use.
5. Use a Zip Tie
• A zip tie can be threaded through the emergency release latch, making it harder for a thief to force the door open.
6. Proper Lighting
• Good exterior lighting can deter burglars. Consider motion-activated lights for both efficiency and effectiveness.
7. Window Covers
• If your garage has windows, use frosted glass or curtains to obscure the view inside.
8. Store Valuables Out of Sight
• Don’t tempt thieves by displaying what’s in your garage. Keep valuables in closed cabinets or in the home.
9. Regular Maintenance
• Ensure that all locks, latches, and security systems are in working order. Perform routine checks.
10. Be Mindful of Your Remote
• Never leave your garage remote in your car. Use a keychain remote that you can easily take with you.
1. Social Media Caution: Don’t announce travel plans or share photos that might reveal what’s in your garage.
2. Community Watch: Neighborhood security initiatives can add an extra layer of safety.
3. Professional Installation: For advanced security features, professional installation ensures everything functions as it should.
By taking these steps to secure your garage, you are not only protecting your belongings but also adding an additional layer of security to your home. Arizona Garage Builders is dedicated to offering robust garage solutions that prioritize your safety and peace of mind.
We prepare your estimate for your new construction project with absolutely no obligation or cost. We prepare all of the calculations and 3d renderings for your project so you know what Arizona Garage Builders can do for you. We will prepare your proposal online so you can see it from any device..