In the Grand Canyon State, where summer temperatures often soar above 100°F, keeping your garage cool is no small feat. A hot garage can not only be uncomfortable but also potentially damaging to items stored within, from your car’s fluids and battery to paint and other chemicals. Thankfully, there are effective ways to make your garage more bearable during the Arizona summer. In this blog post, Arizona Garage Builders offers tips to keep your garage cool when the mercury rises.
Why Keeping Your Garage Cool is Important:
• If you use your garage as a workspace or gym, a cooler environment will make these activities more pleasant.
• High temperatures can degrade various materials such as paint, rubber, and even the structural integrity of certain items.
3. Energy Efficiency
• A cooler garage can lessen the load on your home’s air conditioning system, saving you money in the long run.
Strategies for Cooling Down Your Garage:
• Properly insulating the walls, ceiling, and garage door will prevent hot air from entering and cool air from escaping.
• Install exhaust fans or a ventilation system to expel hot air. Make sure your garage has adequate vents for airflow.
3. Reflective Barriers
• Installing a radiant barrier on the ceiling or walls can reflect heat away from the garage.
4. Seal Gaps and Leaks
• Ensure that all doors and windows are well-sealed to prevent hot air infiltration.
5. Portable Air Conditioner or Evaporative Cooler
• While this can be an expensive option, it’s very effective. An evaporative cooler is a more energy-efficient option in dry climates like Arizona.
• Planting trees or installing awnings can provide shade and decrease direct sunlight hitting the garage.
7. Paint Color
• Lighter paint colors can reflect sunlight, reducing heat absorption.
8. Ceiling Fans
• These can help circulate air, making the garage feel cooler.
• Lower humidity levels can make the air feel cooler and are less taxing on cooling equipment.
1. Regular Checks: Make it a habit to check the seals and insulation materials for wear and tear, especially before summer starts.
2. Energy Consumption: If you opt for mechanical cooling methods, consider their energy consumption and opt for energy-efficient models.
3. Smart Timing: Try to perform garage activities during cooler parts of the day, like early morning or late evening.
By implementing these tips, you can turn your Arizona garage into a more comfortable, functional, and energy-efficient space, even in the scorching summer months. And for any garage modifications you may need, Arizona Garage Builders is your trusted partner.
We prepare your estimate for your new construction project with absolutely no obligation or cost. We prepare all of the calculations and 3d renderings for your project so you know what Arizona Garage Builders can do for you. We will prepare your proposal online so you can see it from any device..